Mary’s Honey Tart
With the less than ideal weather we’ve been having, its the perfect time to snuggle up and whip up one of Mary’s Honey Tarts! It’s delicious and can be enjoyed all year round, recipe below:
- 1 ½ cups plain sweet biscuit crumbs
- 90g butter, melted
- 1 ½ tsp. mixed spice
- 2 eggs, slightly beaten
- 1 300g carton sour cream
- 1/3 cup MVH Kānuka Honey (or MVH Autumn Gold Honey)
- ¼ cup flaked almonds
- Whipped cream, toasted flaked almonds and icing sugar to decorate.
- Lightly grease a 23 cm flan tin. Combine crumbs, butter and spice in a blow. Press evenly over base and up the side of the prepared tin. Refrigerate while preparing filling.
- Filling, Place eggs, sour cream and honey in a bowl. Stir until combined. Pour filling into crumb crust. Sprinkle with almonds.
- Cook in moderate oven 180°C for about 20-30min until firm and lightly brown. Cool in tin.
- Place tart on serving plate. Decorate with whipped cream(or yoghurt on the side), toasted flaked almonds and icing sugar.
We didn’t have a flan tin so use a quiche dish instead. Worked well.
If using honey that is settled, just gently warm it until liquid before adding to the filling mixture.