Saganaki Recipe with Caramelised Beech Honeydew Honey & Thyme
A simple dish to prepare, this warming appetiser is full of flavour and something a little different than the usual cheese and cracker spread. If you can get your hands on fresh pitas from your local baker, the dish becomes even more beautiful.
- 4 pita breads
- 3 Tbsp. olive oil
- 200g quality halloumi cheese
- 1 Tbsp. fresh thyme
- 2 Tbsp. MVH Beech Honeydew Honey
- ½ cup of olives
- ½ cup hummus
- Preheat oven to 180°c. Brush pitas with 2 Tbsp. of olive oil and transfer to a baking tray.
- Warm the pitas in the oven for 5-10 minutes.
- Whilst the pitas are heating, in a small frypan heat the remaining olive oil over a medium to high heat.
- Add the halloumi cheese as one large slab and cook until golden, turn over and cook remaining side until golden as well.
- Drizzle with the honey and scatter over the thyme leaves. Remove from the heat once the honey has caramelised.
- Serve immediately with the warmed pitas, olives and hummus.